Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Review & Preview: Books

I am going to space out my end of year posts throughout December.  I hope this way I can create more deep and meaningful posts in between these posts.  I hope you enjoy the format in which I share where the past year has taken me, and where I intend to go with the year ahead.

Today's topic is books.  Let's start with this year in review!

Review

Five Books That I Loved
1. The Hole In Our Gospel by Richard Stearns
2. Legend by Marie Lu
3. The King Jesus Gospel by Scot McKnight
4. Batman:  Year One by Frank Miller
5. Kingdom Come by Mark Waid

Five Books I Hated
1. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
2. Moby Dick by Herman Melville
3. Did Adam and Eve Really Exist? by C. John Collins
4. Detective Comics:  Faces of Death by Tony S Daniel
5. Divergent by Veronica Roth

Five Books That Taught Me
1. Not A Fan by Kyle Idleman
2. The New Testament and the People of God by N.T. Wright
3. When Helping Hurts by Brian Fikkert
4. Forgotten God by Francis Chan
5. Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud

Five Books That Entertained Me
1. Legend
2. The Killing Joke by Alan Moore
3. Batman:  Court of Owls by Scott Snyder
4. Blue Blood by Nate Dunlevy
5. Ranger's Apprentice:  Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan

Five Books I Was Surprised I Read
1. The Butter Battle Book by Dr. Suess
2. Wonder Woman by Brian Azzerrelo
3. The Hunger Games by Suzzane Collins
4. A Tale of Three Kings by Gene Edwards
5. Batman:  Year One

Five Books I Wanted to Read (But Didn't)
1. For Whom The Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway
2. Save My Children by Emily Wierenga
3. The Big Idea by Robert Fergesun
4. The Man Who Broke Into Auschwitz by Denis Avey
5. The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Preview

The First Five Books I Will Be Reading
1. Darwin's Black Box by Michael Behe
2. The Apostolic Father by J.B. Lightfoot
3. Prodigy by Marie Lu
4. Aquaman by Geoff Johns
5. Jesus and the Victory of God by N.T. Wright

Five Fiction Books That I Won't Miss
1. Prodigy by Lu
2. Dr. Bird's Advice for Sad Poets by Evan Roskos
3. A Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling
4. The Once and Future King by T. H. White
5. The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

Five Graphic Novels To Buy
1. V for Vendetta by Allen Moore
2. Aquaman by Geoff Johns
3. World Without A Superman by Dan Jurgens
4. The Hawkman Omnibus by Geoff Johns
5. Lex Luthor:  Man of Steel by Brian Azzerrelo

Five Books I Want to Learn From
1. Jesus and the Victory of God by Wright
2. Orthodoxy by Chesterton
3. How to Read a Book by Adler
4. Sustainable Youth Ministry by DeVries
5. Jesus Among Other Gods by Zacherias

Overall Book Goal For Next Year
1. I want to read a total of 75 books next year
2. I want 20 of those books to be spiritual in nature
3. I want 20 of those books to be novels/YA novels
4. I want to read the Bible through by November (I started in November this year).
5. My full list of books I plan to read is not yet available.

No comments:

Post a Comment