Pages

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sunday Thanks: Blindness

I couldn't imagine what it must be like to live in the dark.

However, we have an older gentlemen at our church whose tent of life is darkened until the glory of resurrection renews us. He can see next to nothing. He can read using a fancy machine. He has to use a walking stick to navigate through the church.

His eyes are only the beginning of his decrepitude. Liver problems, heart problems, diabetes all plague his old frame. His body makes him useless, at least that is what many may believe.

This old man teaches weekly, an AA type meeting with a Christian flare, sharing with others how to overcome the mistakes of his life. One of those great plagues of secret sin, drunken chains, are exposed with his grace and love.

In fact, a blind man may be the perfect person to work with those ashamed of the sins of their past.

And so as I pass the communion tray, and I hand an individual piece of bread and cup to him, I do not think of him as useless, but essential to the family God is forming all around me.

This week, I am thankful for:
1. Floating in a pool, holding hands with my wife.
2. Plot outlines that may or may not be bestseller material, but are absolutely filled with my heart and soul.
3. Teaching kids to rap the Bible
4. Secrets
5. High school students helping elementary students.
6. Flashes of lightening--marvelous display this week!

1 comment:

  1. oh wow. how this blind man helped me to see today... thank you matt.

    ReplyDelete