Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Bad Dreams, Sleepless Nights, Closeness with God

I had a terrible dream last night. I won't share the details here, but it was creepy, grotesque, and violent. It woke me with a racing heart that just wouldn't calm down. I felt violated somehow, my sleep, a perfect sanctuary, had been taken by storm. I couldn't begin to tell you where most of images of this dream came from, because I have committed to avoid gruesome movies for some time now.

As I lay there, heart pounding, I remembered a lesson on prayer from Dean Trune--that if you wake up in the middle of the night, unable to get back to sleep--God is either trying to get you to pray, or there is something you need to pray about. I thought about this, and I really doubt that the images of my dream were from God, but they definetly disturbed me, and I needed to pray about that!

So at 4AM I sat up praying. I prayed repeatedly that the peace of Christ would reign in my home, in my heart, and in my mind. I prayed in the name of Jesus--which we've been talking about in the Roots class I teach. As I put into practice what we've been teaching (check out Acts 3-4 for details) I felt peace, not that my dream was ok, but that it was safe to go back to sleep--the dream wasn't coming back this night.

And so I slept, safely in the arms of my Lord.

M.

No comments:

Post a Comment