Pages

Saturday, December 3, 2011

What does it matter?

Philippians 1 continues to astound me.

Paul, speaking of the motives for preaching the gospel, makes an interesting declaration:

The important thing is that Christ is preached.

Wait...what?

I have witnessed the damage that can be done by a person preaching the gospel with the intent of personal gain.  I have seen church's torn apart.

But the important thing is that Christ is preached regardless?

I have to be honest, I really struggle with this passage.  It doesn't line up with my understanding.  I know that Paul would tell me to check my motives.  However, for him to suggest rejoicing over the preaching of Christ with poor motives, I do not fully understand.


And so tonight I come with a simple lesson.  What do you do when the way you view the world does not fit with the Scripture you read?


Pray.


Lord, change my heart to understand why Paul rejoices in your word being preached for poor motives.  Teach me to conform my understanding to Yours.  Show me the meaning of this text, and help me to embrace it in a way that brings glory and honor to You.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment